About Interior Designer and Restaurateur Barbara Lazaroff, ASID
Born and raised in New York City, Lazaroff's early studies focused on theater arts, including set design and lighting. She went on to study bio-chemistry and experimental psychology, working in various positions in the bio-medical field, before returning to her initial interest in space planning and interior design.
Barbara on Family
“Although my professional life is very rewarding, I still feel my most important creations, my greatest successes and blessings are my sons, Cameron and Byron. I feel my primary purpose is being their mom, setting a healthy role model and raising children of good moral stature, who will go on to contribute positively to the world at large.”
Her penchant for the dramatic and distinctive extends from her design work into her personal fashion style, as well as her eclectic home which she and her family at one time shared with her menagerie of twenty-something dogs, cats, rabbits, parrots, llamas and tortoises.
Ms. Lazaroff’s business and marketing acumen combined with her definitive design statements have provided an indelible imprint on the restaurant industry, as well as, the restaurants she co-owns and operates with her business partner, Chef Wolfgang Puck, their dedicated partners and talented staff.
Barbara Lazaroff is renowned for her innovative restaurant concepts as demonstrated in the restaurant design section of this site.
Ms. Lazaroff remains engrossed in her passion for design and is presently designing a line of home furnishings and accessories. The first creation will be a set of dinner plates inspired by her flame of life poem.
Her interest in art, charity, and her commitment to the restaurants' operations continues. Her plans for the future include finally setting time apart to realize her lifelong dream of writing and illustrating a series of children's books and marketing them with a line of children's toys and accessories.
Barbara is also co-owner of all the affiliate companies; such as all the fine dining restaurants and is an equal shareholder in Wolfgang Puck Worldwide. In addition, Barbara is one of the owners of the Wolfgang Puck licensed products, i.e., cookware & accessories which are sold by HSN.
Lazaroff has also designed such popular restaurants as SHANE Hidden on the Glen, influenced by the lively colors and forms of the Southwest, which was a visual forerunner to the Wolfgang Puck Café; Eureka, inspired by the mechanics of the brewer's art and the classic films Metropolis and Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times; and Granita in Malibu, Lazaroff's dynamic and wildly unique "abstract interpretation" of the quality of light and sense of movement underwater.
Additionally, Lazaroff has worked abroad, designing Spago Tokyo, the Playboy Club Japan in Tokyo, and the Wolfgang Puck Café in Melbourne, Australia.
Barbara is also involved with a variety of humanitarian, environmental, social and political issues. Some of her humanitarian awards are listed below. You can learn about some of her causes on Barbara's Philanthropy page.
Speaker - Lecturer
Ms. Lazaroff has been featured on the lecture circuit speaking about marketing strategies; building and maintaining successful restaurants at the RHIDEC show; at ASID conferences, MUFSO conventions, YPO conferences, the Volkswagen of America Board of Directors and managers, the Ceramic Tile Institute's annual conference, and The Women's Conference.
Ms. Lazaroff has addressed students and faculty at UCLA seminars, California State University at Northridge and at the Interior Design Institute of Newport Beach.
To Interview Barbara or Book Her As Speaker
We’re not into web forms and questionnaires.
Simply send Barbara an email and provide as much information as you can.
If you're press and seek to interview Barbara Lazaroff, please let her know the following as it applies to your needs:
- Your publication or program
- Deadline or taping date
- The topic of your article/program/segment
- In what capacity would you like Barbara’s participation or what would you like her to focus on
- If you've worked with Barbara before, what/when/where
- Anything else you feel she should know
To book Barbara as a speaker, let her know as much as you can about the event:
- Date and location
- The circumstances under which she’d be speaking
- The desired focus
- Travel arrangements if applicable
- Anything else you feel she needs to know
In 1994, Ms. Lazaroff co-founded the Los Angeles-based Wolfgang Puck Food Co. and served as a board member, as the director of Restaurant Design and Development, and as part of the Real Estate and Site Selection committee until 2000. The Wolfgang Puck Food Company was reorganized as Wolfgang Puck Worldwide which encompasses a variety of restaurant, café concepts as well as a licensing platform for many aspects of the Wolfgang Puck brand.
Ms. Lazaroff and Chef Puck also have an extensive catering business, which garners international attention through such noteworthy events as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences®, Governors Ball, GLAAD League Convention & Gala, The Louis Vuitton United Cancer Front Gala, Donna Karan/Marshall Field’s Fashion Show, Lincoln Park Zoo Gala and Lyric Opera Chicago.
Wolfgang Puck Catering brings a new level of innovation and inspiration to restaurant, special event, catering and food service management for cultural, corporate and entertainment venues across the world. Wolfgang Puck Catering venues in the United States are located in: Atlanta, GA, Boston, MA, Chicago, IL, Dallas, TX, Indianapolis, IN, Las Vegas, NV, Los Angeles, CA, Minneapolis, MN, San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, St. Louis, MO, and Washington D.C. The international catering venues are located in: Berlin, Germany & London, England.
Ms. Lazaroff and Chef Puck co-own and operate fine dining restaurants:
(These links go to the official page at wolfgangpuck.com.)
- Chinois On Main - Santa Monica, CA (Los Angeles) ~ Opened 1983
- Postrio - San Francisco, CA ~ Opened 1989, now closed
- Spago - Las Vegas, NV ~ Opened 1992
- Spago - Beverly Hills, CA (Los Angeles) ~ Opened 1997
- Chinois - Las Vegas, NV ~ Opened 1998, now closed
- Trattoria Del Lupo - Las Vegas, NV ~ Opened 1999
- POSTRIO - Las Vegas, NV ~ Opened 2000
- Spago - Maui, HI ~ Opened 2001
- Vert - Hollywood, CA (Los Angeles) ~ Opened 2002, now closed
- Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill – Las Vegas, NV ~ Opened 2004
- 20.21 - Minneapolis, MN ~ Opened 2005
- CUT – Beverly Hills, CA (Los Angeles) ~ Opened 2006
- Wolfgang Puck American Grille. Atlantic City, NJ ~ Opened 2006
- Red Seven @ The Pacific Design Center (W.P. Catering Division) – West Hollywood, CA (Los Angeles) ~ Opened 2007
Lazaroff contributes much time to the fashion field as well.
She has extended herself to judge and give direction to the students at Fullerton Fashion School, as well as Brooks College in Long Beach and is a devoted supporter of Otis School of Design.
- 1991 — Look West Award, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandise
- 1991 — Platinum Circle Award, Restaurant/Hotel Design Magazine
- 1992 — The Interior Designers Institute of Newport Beach
- 1994 — Assopiastrelle Design Award, Association of Ceramic Tile & Refractory Manufacturers, Italy
- 1994 — Los Angeles Times, StyleFest Award
- 1995 — Hospitality Design Award, Dupont Antron
- 1996 — Ray Bradbury Creativity Award, Woodbury University Library Associates
- 2006 — Interior Designers Institute, Excellence in Design Award
- 2007 — Art to Life Award for Interior Design, Art and Living Magazine
- 1986 — Honors Profiles, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandise
- 1992 — Cal State University, Northridge, Recognition of Distinctive Excellence
- 1993 — Nation’s Restaurant News, MUFSO Special Recognition (Multi-Unit Foodservice Operators Conference)
- 1994 — Restaurant of the Year - SPAGO HOLLYWOOD, James Beard Foundation
- 1994 — Business and Professional Women’s Award, United Jewish Fund
- 1995 — Hot Concept Award, National Restaurant Association /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1995 — Victoria Magazine, Women in Hospitality Award for Industry Excellence and Entrepreneurial Spirit
- 1996 — Restaurant & Institution’s Top 100 Independent Restaurants - SPAGO HOLLYWOOD /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1997 — Innovator Award, Nation’s Restaurant News /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1998 — Top 10 List of Businesses Visa Award, The Best of Los Angeles - Gayot Publications/Gault Millau /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1999 — UCLA Extension, Restaurant Industry Innovation Award for Creative Partnership / Lazaroff & Puck High Impact
Restaurant leadership Award, Restaurant Business
- 2000 — High Impact Restaurant Leadership Award, Restaurant Business
- 2000 — Millennium Hall of Fame Award, National Association of Women Business Owners-Los Angeles Chapter
- 2000 — Outstanding Achievements in Business & Community Contributions, Women in Business, Los Angeles
- 2001 — Women Chef & Restaurateurs’ Golden Fork Award (sponsored by the Culinary Institute of America)
- 2006 — Special Recognition Award, The Network of Executive Women in Hospitality, Los Angeles Chapter
- 2006 — NEWH – The Network of the Hospitality Industry, Award of Recognition
- 2011 — Los Angeles Business Journal, Women Making a Difference Awards' Nominee
(The restaurants have additional awards from organizations & magazines too numerous to list)
Humanitarian Awards & Special Recognitions
- 1989 — Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger, Special Recognition
- 1989 — City of Los Angeles Department of Aging, Certificate of Appreciation
- 1990 — Woman of Achievement, the Woman’s Group Friends of Tel Hasher
- 1990 — Hall of Fame Award, QUEST Children’s Organization /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1991 — Social Concern Award, American Jewish Committee /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1992 — St. Vincent Meals-on-Wheels, Thanks for being an Angel /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1993 — Scholarship Fund Award, Oralingua School for the Hearing Impaired /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1993 — Hollywood Entertainment Museum, Best Seat in the House Awards
- 1994 — Humanitarian of the Year Award, James Beard Foundation /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1995 — Silver Spoon, Food Arts Magazine /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1996 — Friend of Law Enforcement, Recognition of Outstanding Service & Support / Lazaroff & Puck
- 1997 — Decade of Service, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1997 — Stars of Tomorrow Scholarship Gala, Fulfillment Fund /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1997 — Los Angeles Girl Scout Council, Special Recognition
- 1997 — City of Los Angeles, Muscular Dystrophy Association - Men & Women of the 90s / Lazaroff & Puck
- 1997 — Divine Design, Project Angel Food and DIFFA/LA
- 1997 — Athletes & Entertainers for Kids, Hero Award
- 1997 — University Hospital's Ireland Cancer Center, 5 Star Sensation Special Recognition / Lazaroff & Puck
- 1998 — Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation, Special Recognition / Lazaroff & Puck
- 1999 — Nevada Congressional Recognition, Safe Nest /Lazaroff & Puck
- 1999 — Ireland Cancer Center-Pediatric Oncology Unit, University Hospitals of Cleveland -
A room in the unit was named in honor of Lazaroff & Puck for their work with the bi-annual Five Star Sensation Event
- 1999 — Congressional Recognition, Nevada Congresswoman Shelley Berkley for Support of Safe Net
- 2000 — Meals on Wheels Association of America, Golden Meal Award / Lazaroff & Puck
- 2001 — Hospitality Design Magazine, Humanitarian of the Year Award
- 2002 — University Hospitals of Cleveland, The Samuel Mather Award for Philanthropy
- 2003 — Venetian Ball, Special Recognition
- 2004 — St. Vincent Meals on Wheels, Angel Award
- 2004 — American Cancer Society, California Spirit XX
- 2005 — City of Beverly Hills, Community Spirit of Beverly Hills Award
- 2006 — Aviva Family & Children’s Services, Spirit of Compassion Award
- 2006 — Greystone Garden & Design Showcase Recognition & Appreciation Commendation
for Distinguished Service to The City of Beverly Hills
- 2007 — American Cancer Society, Special Recognition Award
- 2007 — American Cancer Society, California Spirit XXIII, Special Recognition, Los Angeles Region
- 2007 — UCLA Mood Disorders Research Executive Advisory Board, Special Appreciation
- 2008 — American Cancer Society, California Spirit XXIV
- 2009 — American Cancer Society, California Spirit XXV Award
- 2010 — Israel Cancer Research Fund, Special Recognition as Chairperson of The Long Bright Cantata
- 2010 — KindredSprits Humanitarian Award
- 2010 — American Cancer Society, California Spirit XXVI
- 2011 — City of Calabasas, California, Honorary Citizen
- 2011 — Calabasas & Malibu Fifth Annual Wine & Food Festival, Certificate of Commendation
- 2011 — American Cancer Society, California Spirit XXVII Award
- 2011 — Alliance for Housing & HealinglThe Serra Project/Aid for AIDS, A Faire of the Heart Visionary Award
- 2011 — Israel Cancer Research Fund, Certificate of Appreciation
- 2013 — Big Brothers Big Sisters, Innovator Award
- 1992 Degree of Bachelor of Arts, Interior Designers Institute, Newport Beach, CA
- 1998 Degree of Doctor of Business Administration in Hospitality Management, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI
- 2010 — Joined the Board of Governors for Jewish Life T.V.
- 2011 — Joined the Board of Directors for the Friends of Sheba Medical Center - Los Angeles
- 2011 — Joined the Board of Directors of the Israel Cancer Research Fund - Los Angeles
Monet's Palate® — “The Perfect Blend of Art and Good Tastes”®
The brainchild of Aileen Bordman, Monet's Palate is the online destination to discover and enjoy Claude Monet’s other passion — food.
MonetsPalate.com is based on the award-winning film, Monet’s Palate - A Gastronomic View from the Gardens of Giverny with Meryl Streep, Alice Waters, Roger Vergé, Daniel Boulud, Michel Richard and Joachim Pissarro.
At the site you can visit The Palate Pantry which grows each day so you can buy wonderful food and drink like chocolates and wine produced according to Monet’s discriminating palates. You can also learn about and purchase the film.
“A toast to Monet" — at MonetsPalate.com